Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Bollywood > Hollywood



I went to the cinema in India for the first time today; and I LOVED it. Five of us crammed into a tuktuk and went downtown to see the latest smash hit, ‘Singham’. And no lie, it was literally the most enjoyable film I’ve seen this year, despite being in a different language.

The movie is about a heavily mustachioed cop in tight pants who kills himself after being framed for corruption by a gangster and then comes back to life after a song and dance sequence by a river and beats tons of people up and gets in tons of car chases. He also shacks up* with this hot chick, despite the fact his wife and child from his previous life are still hanging around and the film never addresses the fact that this must be mad awkward.**

Halfway through the film a brawl started in the cinema; and about 60 guys got involved and started beating the crap out of each other. The police came in and dragged a bunch of people away, everyone cheered, the movie continued.

Going to the movies in India is so much fun. The cinema was beautiful, the tickets were cheap and everyone was so engaged in the film- cheering, clapping, whistling. I watched a few other Bollywood films before I came too, and I noticed in all of them that they have taken the best aspects of Western filmmaking and left out all the pretentiousness. I can’t wait to go see another one!

*He shacks up Indian stylez. So no kissing, groping, nudity- not even very intense cuddling. But you could tell they were in love because of the dramatic close ups and unexpected dance sequences with matching outfits.

** Ok, I think this is what the movie was about. But I only speak like ten words of Hindi so I may have missed the mark a bit.

Our cinema. There was popcorn, score.

No comments:

Post a Comment