Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bromantically Involved.


In my first week out and about India, I was really surprised and impressed to see so many men holding hands, hugging and snuggling- especially since I had been warned that PDA's between men and women (even married couples) are a definite faux pas. I assumed that this was a sign that India was way more gay-friendly than I had been led to believe.

But, no. We asked our coordinator about it and she explained that there's just a very strong culture of male friendship, and because the gay community is so out of sight(and thus out of mind) in most parts of India, nobody would ever presume to connect brotherly hand holding and canoodling with actually being gay.

I think the whole thing is really sweet and lovely, and I'd love to see Kiwi men following in their example. (Karl and Lewis? Chi and Pop? Shaun and Daniel? Yeah?)

1 comment: